One of consideration used in web development architecture/web design is called “Progressive Enhancement“. It is a simple but very powerful technique. It defines layers of compatibility that allow any user to access the basic content, services, and functionality of a web and providing and enhanced experience for browser with better support of standards.
Progressive Enhancement consists of the following core principles:
- Basic Content must be available/accessible to all browsers
- Basic Functionality must be available/accessible to all browsers
- Semantic Markup contains all content
- Enhanced layout is provided by externally linked CSS
- End user browser preferences are respected
So, the objective is to have one only code that is compatible with all devices :D.
- Progressive Enhancement: Still Not Dead. – That Emil (thatemil.com)
- Progressive enhancement is still important (jakearchibald.com)
- The True Cost of Progressive Enhancement (theamazingweb.net)
- Responsive web design (joystanfernandes.wordpress.com)